Ancient Roman Aqueduct on Lesvos, Greece, close to the village of Moira. The aqueduct was build to transport water to Mytilene, the capital town if the island.
Archeologikos Choros Romaiko Idragogio.
Brussels, Koninklijke Musea voor Kunst en Geschiedenis/Musées Royaux d’Art et d’Histoire, August 2013
Head of a Ptolemaic king, most likely Ptolemy VIII Euergetes II, nicknamed Physcon, “balloon”, because of his abnormal obesity.
E. 1839. Graeco-Roman Period, Ptolemaic Dynasty (2nd Century BCE). Black diorite. H. 47 cm.
ca. 1473–1458 B.C.
York Minster is a cathedral in York, England, and is one of the largest of its kind in Northern Europe.
York Minster is the second largest Gothic cathedral of Northern Europe and clearly charts the development of English Gothic architecture from Early English through to the Perpendicular Period. The present building was begun in about 1230 and completed in 1472. It has a cruciform plan with an octagonal chapter house attached to the north transept, a central tower and two towers at the west front. The stone used for the building is magnesiam limestone, a creamy-white coloured rock that was quarried in nearby Tadcaster. The Minster is 173 yards (158 m) long and each of its three towers are 200 feet (61 m) high. The choir has an interior height of 102 feet (31 m).
The two west towers of the Minster hold bells, clock chimes and a concert carillon. The north-west tower contains Great Peter (216 cwt or 10.8 tons) and the six clock bells (the largest weighing just over 60 cwt or 3 tons). The south-west tower holds 14 bells (tenor 59 cwt or 3 tons) hung and rung for change ringing and 22 carillon bells (tenor 23 cwt or 1.2 tons) which are played from a baton keyboard in the ringing chamber. (all together 35 bells.)
Camera: Canon EOS 5D Merk II